POP and Gypsum Powder
Area of Application
- Internal walls
- Hollow concrete blocks
- Concrete columns
- R. C. ceilings
- AAC block work
Feature & Advantages of Gypsum Plaster
It can be directly applied on the above mention Area of Applications, so there is no need of cement plaster & POP / Neeru Finished etc. Free from inherent shrinkage cracking, low density, no curing, and no fungus, provide smooth surface, holds nails & other fittings, all normal decoration etc.
INDISTINCT LIFE : Gypsum plaster contains no dangerous chlorides. It retains its composition for thousands of years as testified by the construction of the Cheops Pyramids
ABSENCE OF SHRINKAGE CRACKING :Gypsum Plasters do not shrink (like cement) during the drying out and hardening process.
INSULATION PROPERTIES :Gypsum Plasters have low conductivity and good thermal properties, ensuring energy and power saving. Tested in accordance to BS 874:1973. Appendix – C, Class “A” in accordance to DIN 4102. The thermal conductivity is 0.32 W/mK.
FLEXURAL TENSIL STRENGTH : Gypsum plasters exhibit high tensile and flexural strength. They are less prone to cracking or de-bonding due to thermal, tensil and shearing movement of the background.
NON-TOXIC AND ANTI-FUNGUS : Gypsum plasters will not harbor insects or nourish mould growth or fungi. They pose no health hazards and are therefore frequently specified in hospitals and clinics. They are gentle on the skin and offer a clean, healthy environment.
NO CURING REQUIRED : Gypsum Plasters require no water curing and should be permitted to dry out as quickly as possible. A definite advantage considering the weather conditions in the Tropical Country like India and a plus for Kerala .
FIRE INHIBITOR : Gypsum is non-combustible (inert), designated class ‘O’ in a accordance to BS 476:4:1970, and contains a high content of crystal water. In the event of fire, will act as a barrier and will protect the block work, concrete and steel.
ACOUSTIC PROPERTIES : Gypsum Plaster (calcium sulphate) as a binder is used in the manufacture of acoustic tiles and plasters, a contributory factor to the absorption of air-borne sounds.
BONDING PROPERTIES : Due to the nature and structure of gypsum, it exhibits excellent bonding properties: hence is applied in a single coat on R.C.C. ceilings, Internal Bare-Brick walls, Hallow Concrete Blocks and Concrete Columns.
RUST INHIBITOR : The Gypsum blended the plaster is the perfect rust preventive agent and inhibits corrosion of electric metal fittings, pips, etc. Metal lathing’s embedded in plaster will not corrode or rust. Serves durable life-long.
EASE OF APPLICATION : International gypsum plasters are pre-mixed and available in easy to handle bags. Only the addition of water is required. A single coat application suffices in most situations resulting in less wastage of time, labor and material. Semi-skilled masons can be taught how to apply and achieve excellent finishes within a few hours on site.
AESTHESTICS : Gypsum Plasters provide a smooth interior finish for ceilings and walls, and is ideal background for good quality paints and wall paper finishes
Disadvantages of Gypsum Plaster
Gypsum plaster cannot be used for outside walls since they retain dampness. Also gypsum plastering cannot be done in areas which are continuously damp such as bathroom etc…
Gypsum plaster is costlier than traditional cement motar plaster ( cement and sand ) for same thickness of plaster.
Benefits to builders / developers
- Green material
- Shrinkage crack free surfaces – smooth finish
- High productivity – faster work (Reducing plastering time by 70% when compared to conventional sand cement plaster + POP method) so time saving.
- Performance – Durability, light weight (Reduces dead load on structure)
- Cleaner sites – direct application bagged product – requires no water curing
- Comparatively 40 % Economical benefits exclusively for builders/ developers.
Benefits to the end customer
- No shrinkage cracks on walls and ceilings
- Reduction in the time required for plastering and this helps in timely possession of homes
- Perfectly lined, leveled, smooth walls
- Saving on electricity used for air conditioning as gypsum has very low thermal conductivity
- Water saving is the point to be focused.
In the last few years, gypsum plaster has become the solution of choice for all leading builders especially in Mumbai and Pune and is now starting to catch on with developers in other cities like Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Chennai and Delhi.
Technical Details of Gypsum Plaster
- PRODUCT/PARAMETERS.....................Gypsum Plaster
- SETTING TIME...........................15 TO 30 MINITUES
- COVERAGE PER 1000KG/12MM...............65M3
- COMPRESSIVE STRENGTH...................55-60 KG / SQ .CM
- FLEXURAL STRENGTH......................30-35 KG / SQ.CM
- BULK DENSITY...........................0.85 – 0.9 GMS/ CU-CMS
- MODULUSE OF RATIO (KG PER CM2)........40 KG / SQ CMS
- CONSISTENCY (WATER : PLATER RATIO).....(65ML – 70ML) : (100 /GM)
In a thorough market study, it is found that there is a great possibility for Gypsum plastering in India. It is verified that unavailability of water and the shortage of time are the main problems which the construction field faces. As Gypsum is water absorbent, water consumption is very low and work can be completed very fastly. So, without any doubts, it is concluded that definitely it will become a successful business throughout India.